Andy Capwell’s ‘American Idol’ Recap
Season XIII is winding down, the season has been ratings challenged as compared to past seasons and frankly the talent hasn’t been the best. With that said, the final four performed three songs each, the theme is a ‘tribute to all things love’. They’ll sing a ‘breakup’ song, a ‘dedication’ song and a ‘make-up’ song. Here’s my take on the night.
Round One: ‘Break Up Songs’
1. Caleb: ‘You Give Love A Bad Name’ by Bon Jovi. Caleb gives a straight ahead job with this rock classic. Vocally it was the usual stellar vocal that Caleb delivers, but it didn’t seem to be a ‘moment’.
2. Jessica: ‘Since U Been Gone’ by Kelly Clarkson. Singing a song by the original American Idol could be a dangerous thing to take on. Jessica simply choose the wrong song for her. It was average at best and the judges let her know it.
3. Jena: ‘Heartbreaker’ by Pat Benatar. Jena vocally was
killer (Keith Urban’s favorite word!) It was very good but like Caleb it wasn’t an Idol ‘moment’.
4. Alex: ‘Too Close’ by Alex Clare. Alex gets praised for his musical craftsmanship but making the songs his own. Vocally it’s decent and Keith Urban weighs in that he’d like to hear more weight in Alex’s vocals.
Round Two: ‘Dedications’
1. Jena: ‘Bad Romance’ by Lady Gaga. It was a solid job but the arrangement was a little odd. Still a good job.
2. Alex: ‘I’m Yours’ by Jason Mraz. This should have been in his wheelhouse, instead it was very un-Alex like. It was just a so-so karaoke version of the original.
3. Caleb: ‘Travelin’ Band’ by CCR. Again, Caleb gives a strong vocal, but I’m just not feeling like it was as good as we have heard from him on the show. Maybe, I am a little cranky watching this back at 5am on my DVR!
4. Jessica: ‘So What’ by Pink. Two songs in a row that weren’t good by Jessica. It was lacking conviction and vocally it wasn’t much better.
Round Three: ‘Make-Up Songs’
1. Caleb: ‘Maybe I’m Amazed’ by Paul McCartney. Finally Caleb gives us a ‘moment’. He sang the heck out of this McCartney classic.
2. Jessica: ‘You & I’ by Lady Gaga. Jessica also saved her best for last. It was a solid vocal and she finally connected with the song.
3. Alex: ‘Yellow’ by Coldplay. Alex does often pick the right song for his style and this was the case with the Coldplay song. It was a very good job but not quite at the level of Caleb and Jena.
4. Jena: ‘I Can’t Help Falling In Love’ by Elvis Presley. The King! Jena bravely changed up this iconic rock song and it was the ‘moment’ of the night! Jennifer Lopez was on the verge of tears after the performance.
The Final Three will get the ‘American Idol‘ hometown visit. My prediction for the final three are: Jena, Caleb and Alex.