Andy Capwell’s Baseball Predictions: AL West
The Red Sox season openers against the Yankees is just 10 days away! I'll be breaking down the AL East next Tuesday. Now let's dive into the American League with the wild, wild west.There's a new team in the division this year, the Houston Astros are now in the Amercan League West.
1. Los Angeles Angels - The runs should be piling up faster than the national debt. Pujols, Hamilton, Trout. The Angels could have the best starting nine in baseball. The pitching is lead by Jered Weaver and then it kind of gets thin. Don't forget Mike Scioscia is one of the best managers in baseball.
2. Seattle Mariners - They have one of the best pitchers in the game with King Felix Hernandez. Offense has been a longtime issue with the Mariners, I think the additions of Michael Morse from Washington and Kendrys Morales from the Angels. This team could surprise!
3. Oakland A's - The surprise team of last season. They have solid young pitching with Brett Anderson and Jarrod Parker. The A's have a lot of ex-Red Sox players, Jed Lowrie Josh Reddick, Brandon Moss and Coco Crisp. Oakland also has budding superstar, Yoenis Cespedes from Cuba.
4. Texas Rangers - This teams World Series window is closing quickly! It will be tough to replace Josh Hamilton's bat. The teams starting pitching is solid, Yu Darvish has great stuff but is sometimes a little wild with his control. The Rangers still have plenty of good bats with Andrus, Kinsler, Nelson Cruz and the addition of Lance Berman.
5. Houston Astros - This team is young and rebuilding. The roster has an average age of 25.7. The pitching staff has a couple of veterans Bud Norris and Philip Humber, soild but not great starters. The offense does have some exciting, young players with Jose Altuve and Matt Dominguez. This team is just too young to compete.
Who do you like in the AL West?