CMT’s Top Country Songs
CMT has picked their top country songs of all time. Country music is popular today than it ever has been, even though it has always been popular. The crossover hits, the ones that play on country and pop stations have made country music reach more fans. Here are the top country songs of all time according to CMT, based on the top 40 rankings on the Country Music Charts.
1. Stand by Your Man. Chosen as the best country song ever released a sung by Tammy Wynette and released in 1968. The song was popular in the late 60’s and early 70’ and even had a brief comeback in the 90’s.
2. He Stopped Loving Her Today was released by George Jones in 1980 and was originally thought to be too sad to become a hit. Alan Jackson sang this song at George Jones’ funeral.
3. Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash. It was the highest selling song of Johnny’s career and was co-written by June Carter Cash.
4. Your Cheatin’ Heart by Hank Williams. Released in 1952 it became an instant hit. The song was written about Hank’s first wife and was 217 on Rolling Stone Magazine’s 500 greatest songs of all time.
5. Friends in Low Place by Garth Brooks came out in 1990 of hit number one on the charts and remain there for four weeks. This song was kind of the changing of the guard from more traditional country to the country we hear today.
Check out more at:
Check out more at: answers.com