Construction Starting Today On Outer Western Avenue In Augusta
If you work in Augusta and your morning and afternoon commute takes you on Western Avenue, Route 202, between Augusta and Manchester, traffic is already very busy. Get ready for some major delays as the MaineDOT will begin reconstruction of a portion of Outer Western Avenue in Augusta starting today.Work will begin with tree removal and installing new gas, water, sewer facilities, as well as portions of the core components of the storm water and drainage systems this fall. The work will continue into 2014 and is expected to be completed on or before August 30, 2014.
In an effort to reduce delays to motorists, the contractor has restrictions outlined in the contract to minimize disruptions which include:
- 6:30 am to 8:30 am Two way traffic including all EASTBOUND lanes (traffic heading toward Augusta from Winthrop/Manchester)
- 8:30 am to 3:30pm Two way traffic
- 3:30 pm to 6pm Two way traffic including all WESTBOUND lanes (traffic heading toward Winthrop/Manchester)
- 6pm to 7pm Two way traffic
- 7pm to 6am Alternating one-way traffic
- No Saturday work
During construction businesses are open and will have access during construction.
Once the road work is done, Outer Western Avenue, will have upgraded utilities, additional lanes for turning and through traffic, and a new traffic signal system.
For more details on the project, including a map of the work area, visit www.maine.gov/mdot/augustaowa/index.shtml