Maine Bald Eagle Dies From Lead Poisoning
Maine wildlife officials say that a bald eagle that had been seen around Wilson Lake in Wilton for the past several years, has been found dead from lead poisoning.A sick 18-year-old eagle was spotted by an ice fisherman on January 19th.
The fisherman alerted game wardens, who took the bird to Avian Haven, a wild bird rehabilitation center in Freedom,Maine. The eagle ended up passing away two days later.
Diane Winn of Avian Haven, told the Lewiston Sun Journal, that X-rays showed a metal fragment in the eagle's intestinal tract, and blood tests showed high lead levels.
The average lifespan of a bald eagle is around 20 years.