Memorial Day And Beyond – Yard Sale Etiquette
This weekend will kick off yard sale season. Everyone is out looking for deals. One man's junk is another man's treasure (sometimes). But there are a lot of things that come to mind when I think about going to garage sales. So, take some of these etiquette rules into consideration...
If you are the seller...
- Make your signs LARGE and visible. Put your address on them and make sure the arrow points in the proper direction (I've honestly driven around for 20 minutes looking for a sale that never existed)
- On that subject...when your sale is over...TAKE YOUR SIGNS DOWN!!! (Again, I've honestly driven around for 20 minutes looking for a sale that never existed...or existed 3 weeks ago)
- Are you selling your stuff or not? Yard sales are for deals...I'm not paying for your precious memories. If you want your stuff gone...price it accordingly. If you bought it brand new for $100 and used it for 5 years...I'll give you $5. You want more...sell it on eBay.
- Everything should have a price on it. I don't want to ask what the cost is and then watch you think about it.
- Have your stuff on display. I'm not going to rummage through totes. I've got 20 other sales to hit in a 2 hour time frame. Show me your goods or I'm gone.
- Be prepared to dicker. It's Maine, it's what we do.
- Allow early birds!! You want your stuff gone...right? If your setting up and are there...let people shop. Goodness...it's a yard sale...not BLACK FRIDAY!!
If you are the buyer...
- Bring cash. No, we will not hold an item for you. Have ones, fives and twenty's.
- Park your car so it's out of the way.
- Don't let your kids run all over the place picking up stuff. It's nerve racking to the home owner because it's their property and should someone get hurt...well, they are liable.
- Can't believe I have to say this...BUT...if you bring your dog and it poo's....PICK IT UP!!
- No, you may not use my bathroom.