Patriotic Country Songs
With the 4th of July here it’s time break out some patriotic country songs. There are a lot of lists of these songs to pull from, but I like this list because it has some songs that weren’t huge hits, but I thought they should have been.
10. 'Only in America' by Brooks & Dunn. This song was released before 9/11 but became patriotic afterward.
9. Johnny Cash’s, 'Ragged Old Flag'. The lines, ‘So we raise her up every morning, take her down every night / We don’t let her touch the ground, and we fold her up right / On second thought, I do like to brag / ‘Cause I’m mighty proud of the ragged old flag’, so good.
8. 'Some Gave All' by Billy Ray Cyrus. He sang this song for troops on a battleship in Norfolk, Va.
7. 'Bumper of My S.U.V'. by Chely Wright. Why this song didn’t do better on the charts I will never know. I heard this for the first time sitting in the tent at Camp Keyes during our Tankgiving food drive and I was blown away.
6. Waylon Jennings and 'America'. This is a song written by Sammy Johns.
5. ‘Arlington’ by Trace Adkins is a song about fallen American soldiers buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
4. ‘In America' by Charlie Daniels where he says we’ll all stick together, the cowboys and the hippies, Rebels and Yanks.
3. Aaron Tippin with ‘Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagles Fly'. Another song written post 9/11 but became the unofficial theme of the Gulf War. The line ‘You’ve Got to Stand For Something’.
2. Toby Keith and 'American Soldier'. For me this song could have flipped with Number one on the list but I'm o.k. with it being Number two. Toby could have had another song on this list with ‘Courtesy of the Red White and Blue’
1. This is a good choice I have to admit, Lee Greenwood and ‘God Bless the U.S.A'. It came out in 1983 and had minor success but during Desert Storm in 1991, it became a big hit.
The one song on this list you may not have heard is the one by Chely Wright so here it is for you: