Today’s R2S: Red Cross Helps Skowhegan Family
A family of five found themselves forced to seek temporary asylum on Sunday after a kitchen fire happened in their apartment on Pine Street in Skowhegan. According to Centralmaine.com, Skowhegan Fire Chief Shawn Howard said “It was a stove-top fire that started when the resident was frying fish. The fire was contained to the kitchen. It went up the wall into the ceiling a little bit, but the guys knocked it down pretty quick. We had the Red Cross provide some housing for a couple of nights while they could get the kitchen fixed. We didn’t want them staying in there until they could get it cleaned up.”
According to the Red Cross article on the situation, they are making sure the family of 5, a mother, father, 2 grown children, and one younger child, have food, a safe place to stay, and the right essentials. The Red Cross will be in contact with them to help them on their road to recovery.
Individuals wishing to support Red Cross Disaster Services can call (800) RED-CROSS or visit MaineRedCross.org.