Top Ten Businesses Sarah Wants To Bring Back To The Augusta Area
There are a lot of great businesses in Augusta! There always has been. But we’ve also seen a lot of great businesses come and go. Some of them, I miss and would love to see them return to Augusta. Some I never had to pleasure of visiting, but heard great stories about them.
In absolutely no particular order…here are a few businesses that were once in Augusta and are missed.
- Bonanza Restaurant – I miss their ginormous salad bar! There hasn’t been another restaurant in the area to offer a salad bar with such a selection
- Chernowsky’s – a department store downtown.
- Emery’s Meats – while they have only moved to Gardiner…it was much handier having them in Augusta
- Ames – They were affordable…especially when I was young and living on my own for the first time.
- Service Merchandise – This is #1 in my heart
- Radio Shack – OK…I had to add one for McCoy
- Fantasies – I always felt like I was walking into a magical land far far away when I would walk into Fantasies to buy flowers.
- Doc’s Restaurant – My grandfather’s restaurant…that later went on to become Lou’s Beverage Barn…that later went on to become Damon’s Beverage Mart. Our one and only, Mike Poulin, remembers eating there as a young lad. I would have loved the opportunity to see this restaurant open.
- Kmart’s Diner – Remember when Kmart had a diner inside of it. I do. My grandfather used to go there every morning, with his friends, for breakfast. When I would visit from Germany, he’d bring me with him.
- Play It Again Sports – just recently closed and it saddens me. What a GREAT idea and boy did I benefit from their business.