Restored Fishing Schooner to Return to Kennebec
The oldest Maine-built wooden fishing schooner will return to the Kennebec River this June.
The schooner hs been under a year long retoration at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath and will return to the river were she was built.
The Mary E was built in 1906 on the banks of the Kennebec on the ground of what is now the museum. The is believed to be the oldest Bath built wooden vessel. The Mary E had quite a life since it was built serving as a fishing boat, a carrier ship, a rum-runner and a river tour boat.
The museum bought the schooner last year and started the restoration that included replanking the hull and deck and replacing the engine.
The museum will now be the permanent home for the schooner and on June 9 will be Mary E Commissioning Day when the ship will be relaunched into the Kennebec. The ceremony will be open to all.
According to bangordailynews.com the June event, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., will take place at the museum, located downstream from Bath Iron Works on the Kennebec. Reduced admissions prices will be offered to adults, and children younger than 12 will be admitted for free.