According to a story on WGME, an ingredient in chewing gum is deadline to dogs.

Nashville's Christy Figlio recently lost her 3 year old Husky because of an artificial sweetener called Xylitol.

According to Pet Health Network, Xylitol is a sugar-free substance used as a sugar substitute. It’s commonly called a “sugar alcohol,” and is naturally found in certain fruit (in small amounts). Xylitol has gained recent popularity because it is sugar-free, reducing caloric intake for humans. It also is thought to protect cavities in people.

When a dog ingest Xylitol, there are two possible problems: hypoglycemia (i.e., a life-threateningly low blood sugar) and acute hepatic necrosis (i.e., severe liver failure).

Symptoms of Xylitol poisoning include: weakness, staggering, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, and racing heart.

If you suspect your pet has Xylitol poising, get help IMMEDIATELY.  The sooner vets can administer treatment, the better the odds your pet will recover.