Andy Capwell’s ‘American Idol’ Update: The Top 6
The fifteen year run of 'American Idol' is just a month away from calling it a wrap. The final season sends home one more contestant last night and welcomes back Adam Lambert. Here's my 'American Idol' Update.
1. Trent Harmon: 'Counting Stars' The song is chosen by America and boy did we get it wrong. Trent and this song just aren't a good fit. The judges agreed with me! 6.5 out of 10
2. Dalton Rapattoni: 'Numb' He did a decent job with it but my problem with Dalton is that he's more flash and stage presence than vocal chops. He's on pitch and sings well but he favors the show over showing us his voice. 7 out of 10
3. La' Porsha Renae: 'Ready For Love' I really loved her softer tones during the front part of her performance, something that we haven't heard much of this season. Then she slayed it and it was simply awesome! I think it was one of the best performances of the season and for the entire flight of the show. 10 out of 10
4. MacKenzie Bourg: 'Wild World' On paper, it sounded like a good song choice for his singer songwriter approach. It wasn't great, it was only fair at best. 7 out of 10.
That means Sonika and Tristan are the bottom two (two of my favorites!)
Tristan sings 'Independence Day' and plays the piano and gives a very strong performance. 8 out of 10.
Sonika sings 'Let It Go' and she has such a pure vocal. It was excellent 8.5 out of 10.
The judges last save of the season is used on Sonika. Best of luck to Tristan!
Meanwhile, we here a song from two people on the show 'Empire' and Adam Lambert sings his new song. Now, the second song from the final five.
1. Dalton: 'Sounds Of Silence' Again, more stage presence than vocal chops. I wrote during his performance that the judge will love it, they did. 5 out of 10
2. MacKenzie: 'Billie Jean' He puts his indie rock style on it by stripping it down and I personally did not care for it. I heard some pitch issues. The judges gushed over it. 6 out of 10
3. Trent: 'Simple Man' Now this is the Trent that I am a fan of! The southern rock classic suited Trent and he had a great tone and showed get vocal range. 9 out of 10.
4. Sonika: 'Clarity' Bad song choice, it's just too quickly paced for Sonika to have a 'vocal moment'. She's still on pitch and a great vocalist. 8 out of 10.
5. La'Porsha: 'No More Drama' Queen Diva, great vocals and passion. However, she slightly went a little overboard for my taste. Judges loved it. I actually liked her first song better. 9 out 10.