States That Drink The Most and The Least
USA Today put out a list of the drunkest states in the country and if you're wondering were Maine is on the list, read on.
To identify the state that drinks the most they reviewed the percentage of men and women over 18 who report binge or heavy drinking. Binge drinking is considered 4 or more drinks in one sitting for women and 5 or more for men. Heavy drinking is considered at least 8 drinks for women and 15 drinks for men.
Here are the top 5 heaviest drinking states.
1. North Dakota: 24.7 % of adults drink excessively, Alcohol related deaths are the highest in the nation and their drunkest metro area is Fargo.
2. Wisconsin: Adults drinking excessively is at 24.5% with alcohol related deaths at 36.9% (8th highest) and the drunkest metro is Green Bay.
3. Alaska: 22.1% of adults drink excessively and they are 16th highest in the nation with alcohol related death. The highest drinking metro is Fairbanks.
4. Montana: Adults drinking too much is at 21.8% and they have the second highest rate of Alcohol related driving deaths at 46.3%. Highest drinking metro is Missoula.
5. Illinois: Excessive drinking adults is at 21.2% and they are the 15th highest in alcohol related deaths. They city drinking the most is Bloomington.
Now lets see where Maine is. With 19.6% of adults drinking excessively the Pine Tree State comes in at #11. Alcohol relates deaths in Maine is high on the list at #4 in the nation and the drunkest metro area in Portland-South Portland.
The least drunk states in the nation are: Mississippi (46), Alabama (47), Utah (48), West Virginia (49) and Tennessee is the least drinking state at #50.