Potentially Deadly Toy Being Recalled in Maine, Massachusetts
Even though we get word about product recalls at least a few times a week, this one is definitely more concerning to those of us with small children.
This recall does not involve chicken wings or lettuce. This alert focuses on the recall of a toy.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a science kit that features small magnetic balls is being recalled over concerns that it could cause serious injuries or death.
The article explains that the product is called the 'Relax 5mm Science Kit, Large Hematite Magnets Magnetic Stones Building Blocks'.
The product is reportedly being recalled because the strength of the balls' magnetic field is too strong.
Apparently, because they have such a strong magnetic field, swallowed balls can connect together inside a person's digestive system. Clusters of balls could cause blockages or other internal issues.
The CPSC article goes on to say:
When high-powered magnets are swallowed, the ingested magnets can attract each other, or another metal object, and become lodged in the digestive system. This can result in perforations, twisting and/or blockage of the intestines, infection, blood poisoning, and death.
So far, no deaths have been attributed to this toy. However, the USA Today article explains that between 2017 and 2021, at least seven people died from ingesting similar toys. On top of that, about 2,400 people were hospitalized with injuries caused by ingesting magnets.
If you purchased the toy for your child, you can get more details about what your next steps should be HERE.
'90s Toys That Spark Instant Childhood Memories
Gallery Credit: Danielle Kootman
LOOK: The top holiday toys from the year you were born
Gallery Credit: Jacob Osborn & Peter Richman