Dismissal of Manslaughter Charges Against 12-year-old Fairfield Girl Accepted by Judge
A judge today (May 21) accepted the prosecution's dismissal of a manslaughter charge against a 12-year-old Fairfield girl charged with murder.
Last week a manslaughter charge was dismissed in connection with the death of a 3-month-old baby two years ago. Under the plea agreement, she will be charged with a misdemeanor and be subject to long-term supervision and counseling. She was the youngest person to be charged with manslaughter in thirty years.
Assistant Attorney General William Stokes said, "The top goal was always to get this girl the treatment and counseling she needs. The idea was never to incarcerate her."
The girl was age 10 when charged with reckless or criminally negligent manslaughter in the death of Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway in July of 2012. The baby was in the care of the girl’s mother in Fairfield on the night she died. Brooklyn's mother said police told her that her daughter had ingested medication and been suffocated.