Over the weekend, The Ice Vault on Whitten Road in Hallowell, was evacuated to due a smell of natural gas. According to the KJ, a gas line, that ran into the building from a heating and cooling unit, had been broken and gas was leaking from it. More than 100 people were forced out of the building as firefighters and staff from Maine Natural Gas checked for pockets of accumulating gas.

Hallowell police are now investigating the incident as they believe this was caused by human interference, whether intentional or accidental. According to Hallowell Police chief Eric Nason, “Preliminary information indicates that it was done either intentionally or accidentally, versus natural causes".

There are no surveillance cameras in the area of the broken gas line, so there isn't much to go on. It would also have been difficult for a vehicle to have caused the damage so that has also been ruled out.

Enter your number to get our free mobile app