Warning: Toxic Algae That Could Kill Your Dog Found in South Portland, Maine, Ponds
Dogs are way better than humans.
We've probably all said that at some point in our lives.
I hope I come back as a dog in my next life.
Another thing a good chunk of us have also probably said. Which is why this is so important and this next line is going to be possibly alarming, blunt, and harsh.
There is a good chance your dog will die in South Portland, Maine if you don't pay attention.
And it's factual because it happened last year.
Toxic Algae in Cumberland, Maine
Last August, you may remember the story of a couple of cute Maine pups, Stella and Luna, who were going on their usual outdoor hang session with their Mom, Elayna Girardin, to Twin Brook Recreation Area, when they were unknowingly exposed to toxic algae known as cyanobacteria -- or, more commonly, blue-green algae.
Everything seemed fine at first, but the very next night, Elayna noticed that both Stella and Luna seemed off and their behavior was declining, with Luna even suffering a seizure.
A trip to the vet later revealed information no pet owner wants to even think about or breathe into the universe, especially so suddenly: both dogs had to be euthanized.
Toxic Algae at Hinckley Park in South Portland, Maine
And with the insane nonstop humidity we've been experiencing throughout Maine right now -- which means your pup is in a higher need of staying hydrated -- you need to pay attention to keep them safe.
Want to help keep not only your dog(s) safe, sound, and alive but your fellow Mainers' pups? Make sure you pick up your dog's waste because South Portland Parks and Rec said that dog waste 100% contributes to this type of algae growing in ponds.
Don't be that pet honor that causes harm or even death to other pets.