Dolly Parton has revealed that plans for a proposed 9 to 5 sequel have stalled.

"Actually, I think we've dropped that whole idea," the country music icon told Entertainment Tonight at the Dollywood premiere of her new Netflix series, Dolly Parton's Heartstrings, on Tuesday (Oct. 29). "I don't think we're gonna do the sequel."

Parton says that she and her co-stars, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, just weren't satisfied with any of the ideas that had been proposed, and they didn't want a new film to suffer by comparison to the classic 1980 movie.

"We never could get the script where it was enough different than the first one, and that one turned out so good," Parton explains.

These Country Singers Are Also Actors!

The musician, author and actress previously said in March of 2018 that a 9 to 5 sequel might make sense in the #MeToo era. The original film followed a group of downtrodden secretaries who turn the tables on their chauvinistic boss.

"I've been talking to Lily and Jane ... Actually all these years, we've talked about doing a sequel to 9 to 5 and it never made any real sense until just recently," Parton told Nightline.

According to the Today show, Fonda confirmed the sequel in July of 2018 at a press event for the Television Critics Association, telling reporters, “Right now, Dolly, Lily and I are all intending to be in it."

Still, the news is not all bad for fans of Parton, Fonda and Tomlin, though the 9 to 5 sequel appears dead.

"We're thinking we might do a completely different thing together, Jane, Lily and I," Parton tells ET. "We may do something different altogether, but I don't think we'll continue with [the sequel]."

Dolly Parton's Heartstrings is set to premiere on Netflix on Nov. 22. Each of the eight episodes takes its plot from one of Parton's songs.

Most Unforgettable Dolly Parton Moments

See Dolly Parton Through the Years