When a trio of Central Maine Power employees started their workday on Wednesday, they probably never thought they'd close out their day as heroes.  But, that is exactly what happened.

According to the KJ, just before 3 PM on Wednesday, Central Maine Power workers Adam Douin, Jeffrey Dyer, and Carl Urquhart were at a nearby Central Maine Power materials storage yard in Richmond when they first smelled smoke.  They reportedly thought it was kind of concerning that they smelled smoke on a day with such a high fire danger, so they hopped in a vehicle and drove in the direction of the smoke.

After a minute, they spotted smoke and just continued to drive in that direction until they arrived at the burning 2 1/2 story home at 1188 Brunswick Road.

They jumped into action.  First, they helped a man escape from a window that was about ten feet off the ground.  After he was on the ground, they asked if there was anyone else in the house.  The man told them that his mother was still in the home.

According to the newspaper article, the woman was hanging out the window when they spotted her.  They grabbed  nearby ladder and put it up against the house.  She started down the ladder, but the flames burned her feet and she started to fall.  Fortunately, the CMP workers were able to catch her before she hit the ground.

As the home was close to the Gardiner town line, members of the Gardiner Fire Department were on scene first.  Richmond firefighters were also assisted by Augusta, Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Dresden, Randolph, Pittston and Woolwich.  In total, there were about 30 firefighters at the fire.

The names of the rescued man and woman were not immediately available.

20 Maine News Stories that Have Shocked Us Since the Year 2000

These 20 news stories, from the past 21 years, had an impact felt around the state. Here are the stories that captured our attention are listed in no particular order.

More From B98.5