Mid-Coast Maine Town Named One of the Most Charming in America
According to the website HouseBeautiful.com, Damariscotta is one of "50 Charming American Towns You Haven't Heard of But Should Visit ASAP."
As someone who considers the Damariscotta area home, I couldn't agree more!
The website gives a small blurb about what makes it so charming, but take it from a local, there's so much more!
If you want a summer Damariscotta day done right, here's what you do:
1. Take the scenic route. Avoid driving Route 1 at all costs, or else you'll be spending a bulk of your time sitting in Wiscasset (a lovely town, but who wants to sit in traffic?).
2. If you end up taking Route 215, make sure you stop at Oxbow in Newcastle for a beer. Blink and you'll miss it! Who doesn't like a cold beer in the woods?
3. Enjoy some lunch at King Eider's Pub! Cozy establishment, friendly folks, great food and spirits!
4. Shop Main Street! Damariscotta is the OG home to Reny's! You'll notice there are two locations; Reny's and Reny's Underground. You'll find clothing at Reny's and everything else at Reny's Underground. There are many gift shops and boutiques to check out along the way.
5. Catch a play, movie, of simulcast at the historic Lincoln Theater.
6. More of an outdoorsy type? Skip the theater and take a hike!
7. End the day with some ice cream from Round Top! I'm a big fan of Eagle Tracks, myself.
This is just the tip of the iceberg of what to enjoy in the area! What's your favorite thing to do in Damariscotta?