Top 10 Items That Are Dangerous To Our Pets During The Holidays
Most of us love the holiday season. It's filled with fun, food, and festivities that the entire family can enjoy and participate in.
However, it is during this time of year that there are many dangers for our beloved pets. Some can send them to the emergency room or worst, even cause them to die.
With the help of PetMD.com, here are the top 10 things to avoid, in order to keep your pets safe during this festive time of year.
10 - Chocolate
During the holidays, who doesn't enjoy the irresistible choices when it comes to chocolates. Many of us, even enjoy making these wonderful confections, I know I love receiving them.
However, for dogs, chocolate poses many problems. First, they love it, many dogs have a sweet tooth and can sniff out fine chocolates which can lead to disaster. Darker chocolate with higher concentrations of coca are the worst and can cause dogs to have seizures, tremors, and diarrhea.
9 - Cooked Meat Bones
Although not something you may find laying around itself, these are typically the by product of the amazingly delicious foods we enjoy this time of year...from turkey bones, to chicken wing bones from hot wings, these "cooked" bones are notorious for splintering and causing blockages, and lacerations in your dogs digestive tract.
8 - Onions & Garlic
This is one danger I didn't even realize until fairly recently, and this also poses a risk year round, especially if you like to cook often as these are both staples of the American diet.
If consumed by you pet, both onions and garlic can have a serious effect on the red blood cells of your favorite fur baby and even cause anemia if excessive amounts are consumed by your pet.
7 - Alcohol
In general, our pets are not born lushes. However, both dogs and cats can get drunk just like people can, and it takes much less to effect and depress their delicate nervous system and can also cause comas, low blood pressure and even death.
Never share beer, wine or any alcoholic drink with you pet, and watch out for dairy based drinks that your pets may find as appealing as you do.
6 - Poinsettias
Although beautiful and festive to look at, poinsettias are found to be attractive to both cats and dogs but also pose a danger if ingested.
If your pets eat any part of the poinsettias plant they can find themself facing gastrointestinal distress causing licking lips, diarrhea, vomiting, and drooling.
5 - Lilies
Another popular plant to avoid around the holidays are Lilies. Although many other plants pose a greater risk, lilies are especially dangerous to cats and can cause kidney failure. In dogs, exposure can be similar to the symptoms of poinsettias, diarrhea, vomiting, and even a coma is possible.
4 - Holly
This bright, festive plant can be found in many holiday wreaths you may have around your home. Although not really deadly, holly plants and their berries can produce vomiting and diarrhea in both dogs and cats and is best to be avoided especially if located inside the home.
3 - Mistletoe
If you are like me, this is one of the first holiday decorations to be put up. But, if you have pets, you really need to consider where you put it up as it can be especially hazardous for our beloved pets.
Mistletoe can cause a number of stomach issues if ingested such as hypotension, seizures, and sometimes even death if consumed in large amounts.
2 - Candles
Candles around the holidays are almost as popular as putting out cookies for Santa on Christmas eve but, there are a few things to keep in mind when using candles in a household that has pets.
The danger from candles to pets is not from ingesting them but rather from the threat of causing a fire due to being knocked over, especially from curious kitties, and those happy dog tails. Cats are also notorious for catching their tails on fire from the open flames of a candle and no one wants that tragedy. So if you have candles, planning is paramount.
1 - Tinsel
When it comes to decorating your holiday tree, one of the most dangerous items for cats especially is tinsel. Cats are attracted to the shiny tinsel and often can not resist the urge to play with it. This is one of the most popular reason for visiting an emergency vet during the holidays. If cats play with, nibble on, and eat tinsel, it easily gets caught in the cats digestive tract and often require emergency surgery to avoid death. Best to decorate with other decorations if you have kitties.