A Maine couple watched as a fire engulfed their Auburn home on Sunday, according to The Sun Journal.

The two story apartment building which Michele and Everton Bailey own, is located on 36 Old Farm Hill Road in Auburn and the fire destroyed everything.

The couple were sitting with there tenant according to the article, when, "soot started to fall from the ceiling." The article states that it is then they realized the second floor was engulfed in flames. The article states the fire was an accident.

“We couldn’t even get out of the house without being carried,”

Michele Bailey

According to the article, as Michele stood across the street, watching her home burn down, someone wrapped a blanket around her and she still doesn't know who it was because she was in shock witnessing her possessions burn.

“I still don’t even know who that person is,

I still have her blanket.”

Michele Bailey

The article states, the fire left no trace of their possessions. All furniture was destroyed. The second floor is completely uninhabitable and the first floor's ceilings are now caving in. No part of the Baileys’ home emerged from the blaze unscathed.

The article states, the second floor was destroyed and the tenant lost everything. The first floor ceilings are caving in and none of their furniture survived the fire.

They are now living at hotels with the help from The Red Cross and trying to grieve the loss of their home. However, they are only assisted up to April 15th, according to the article. 

The housing market is not promising currently in the L/A area so they are receiving support from friends and family. Everton's brother owns the well known, Jeff's Jamaican Cuisine and he is hosting a, Home Fire Fundraiser on Lisbon St in Lewiston from 11-5p on Sunday to help.

The article also says that Shellie Leger, their sister has created a GoFundMe to assist them in expenses. It has raised $1,625.

“The stress is unbelievable, But guess what? I have to still push through, I’ve got to push through.."

Michele Bailey

According to a report put out by The Red Cross, the most common months of a year for an accidental house fire is December and January.

The report states,

Home fires can happen at any time, but they generally increase during the fall and winter, with December and January being the peak months. Home fires are also more common on Saturday and Sunday, and tend to peak between 6:00 and 7:00 PM.

The ABC's of Fire Safety

The ABC's of Fire Safety

26 Tips to help keep your home and family safe, including what to do in case of a fire.

Home Inspired By Boston Firehouse For Sale in Thornton, New Hampshire

Home Inspired By Boston Firehouse For Sale in Thornton, New Hampshire

This full-sized replica of Boston's Engine 21 Firehouse is located at 176 Armory Rd in Thornton, New Hampshire. It features 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 3,137 square feet of space for any hobbyist and 1,622 square feet of garage space for an RV, cars, boats, or yes, even a fire engine. 

This property features a ton of storage and closet space, a propane fireplace, and an unfinished basement that provides endless possibilities. 

Interested? Click here!

More From B98.5