Keto Diet: Sarah Makes Brownies
My husband and I, recently, started the new fad keto diet. For many different reasons, this was a lifestyle change that HAD to be made. Entering the 3rd week and we are feeling a lot better physically. I'll go into that more in a bit. But, my husband (OK, and ME) has been struggling to eat something sweet.
Basically, the goal of keto is to eliminate bad carbs and sugar from your diet. (You can research it yourself, if you wish to try it). The impact this has had on me, personally, is tremendous. As a person who struggles with chronic pain...usually trapped in bed from exhaustion...my body feels so much better and my energy has improved. If you suffer with chronic pain...I strongly recommend you consider taking white flour and white sugar out of diet...(don't start any diet without a doctor's approval)
So, to kill my hub's sweet tooth, I decided to try a keto friendly brownie recipe (NOTE: I doubled the recipe when I made it):
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup milk (coconut milk, raw cow's milk, goat's milk, almond milk, etc)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the coconut oil and cocoa powder in a small pan and melt.
- Combine the eggs, coconut sugar, milk and salt in a large bowl.
- Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture in the bowl.
- Add coconut flour and mix well.
- Grease an 8X8 baking dish and pour batter into the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
How did they taste? They weren't too bad. Not my first choice for dessert...but as an only option...pretty darn OK.