DIFW Range Safety Officers Wanted
Volunteer Range Safety Officers Wanted
Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is seeking volunteer RSO’s to serve at their SummerHaven shooting Range facility in Augusta.
Do you have a strong interest in firearms and shooting sports? Want to help provide a safe and friendly environment for fellow shooters, or to pass along passion for firearms and shooting sports? If so, they would like to have you join their family of Range Safety Officers at the Summerhaven Range.
The Summerhaven shooting range is a modern shooting facility located in Augusta, Maine. This facility has been designed to be a safe and friendly environment for the public to enjoy, from brand new users to highly experienced shooters.
However, to maintain this safe environment for users of all skill-levels, they rely on volunteer Range Safety officers to ensure range safety rules and procedures are being followed and to provide education about the safe use and handling of firearms.
If you are interested, they do require some background information and training to ensure the safety of the public users and integrity to the program.
Here are the steps required to become a volunteer RSO for the Department:
1. Request and complete and application.
2. Application review and background check.
3. Potential candidates will be required to complete at least two full shifts of orientation and training at the range before being eligible for the RSO training class.
4. Complete an NRA RSO Certification class, provided by the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife.
5. Volunteer for scheduled shifts monthly.
6. Adhere to Department policies and procedures for the Range.
For more information, and to start the application process, reach out to the program coordinator: Craig Gerry, 207-446-4249, please leave a message if no answer, or via email Craig.I.Gerrry@maine.gov