Massachusetts Construction Worker Dies From Black Licorice
I think we can all agree that black licorice is terrible stuff. I mean, can it really be considered candy? Yeah, that's what I thought. However, I don't think we could ever imagine that it is dangerous. Or, even worse, fatal.
Apparently, though, in some cases it is fatal.
According to WGME, a 54 year old construction worker from Massachusetts has died because of his black licorice habit.
The man had been eating a bag and a half a day for the last few weeks. Chemicals in the candy threw his nutrient levels out of whack, causing him to have a fatal heart attack.
Specifically, the problem was glycyrrhizic acid, which is found in many foods containing licorice root extract. The acid can cause dangerously low potassium and imbalances in other minerals called electrolytes.
The really crazy part is that it doesn't take a massive amount of it to cause medical issues. Doctors say that eating as little as 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks could cause a heart rhythm problem. This is especially true in those who are middle-aged or older.
I guess this should serve as another reminder of "everything in moderation".